What's fascinating about the below story is that the city of Winston-Salem is home to America's 2nd largest tobacco company, RJ Reynolds, maker of Winston, Salem and Camel. Remember the old Virginia Slim's slogan, "You've come a long way, baby!" Today that slogan could be just as true for the health movement and cessation. Talk about coming a long way, take a look at the above old RJ Reynolds commercial for Camels.

As for how RJ Reynolds was able to make the claim that most doctors smoke Camels, Joel just provided me with the following citation explaining how Camels prevailed:

"In reality, this “independent” surveying was conducted by RJ Reynolds’s advertising agency, the William Esty Company, whose employees questioned physicians about their smoking habits at medical conferences and in their offices. It appears that most doctors were surveyed about their cigarette brand of choice just after being provided complimentary cartons of Camels.1"

[1] Am J Public Health. 2006 February; 96(2): 222–232, doi: 10.2105/AJPH.2005.066654,

The sad part is that millions continue to pay skyrocketing prices, not because their rational, thinking brain wants to keep smoking but because their enslaved limbic mind suffers from a wanting disorder that's every bit as real as wanting to eat food when hungry or drink liquids when thirsty.

Although I hold out hope that recovery lessons such as the Law of Addiction�soon reach them, I'm not holding my breath. For you see, they would have to hear us and our message above nicotine industry marketing that continues to play upon the very fact that they suffer from a brain wanting disorder. Constantly bombarded with marketing suggestions that they smoke for taste, flavor, pleasure, excitement, for friendship, or that quitting without purchase and use of replacement nicotine is nearly impossible, they remain trapped within a world of nicotine normal. It isn't easy penetrating such thinking but we'll keep trying. Still just one rule allowing us to see the truth while keeping our wanting disorder fully arrested ... no nicotine today!

Breathe deep, hug hard, live long,

John (Gold x11)

Municipal employees in 1 NC city
to pay more for insurance
if they use tobacco products

By Associated Press - 7:05 AM EDT, June 15, 2010WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. (AP) — Employees of a North Carolina city that's home to one of the nation's largest tobacco companies will have to pay more for health insurance if they smoke.

The Winston-Salem Journal reported Tuesday that city employees will have to pay more beginning in January unless they take a test to prove they have no nicotine in their bodies.

Employees who smoke or use other tobacco products will be eligible only for the city's basic health-coverage plan and not for a plan under which the city covers more costs.

An assistant city manager says the city is using a preliminary figure of an extra $20 per month for premiums for employees who use tobacco.

Winston-Salem is the home of R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Co., the second-largest tobacco company in the country.

Source Link

Copyright © 2010, WGHP-TV Copyright © 2010 Associated Press

Edited 6 times by JohnPolito Oct 18 10 4:20 PM.