Woman injured in morning
trailer home fire
Fort Dodge (IA) Messenger
Wednesday, April 17, 2002
A woman was taken to Trinity Regional Medical Center with burns after a fire consumed her home Tuesday. Her condition was not available Tuesday night.
Gwen Bradt, of 1338 Third Ave. N.W., told assistant fire chief Gene Habben she was smoking in bed when she fell asleep. The fire woke her, he said she told him. The house is on lot No. 6 of the Palace Park Trailer Court. Bradt was the only occupant at the time of the mobile home which she owns. The fire started in the bedroom.
"When we arrived at 10:16 a.m., the back portion of the house was totally involved," Habben said. "It had burned through the exterior walls."
Damage was also caused to the house to the north. Habben said its siding was warped from the heat.
The fire was out by10:25 a.m., however, the fire department was on the scene for hours to make sure none of the things in the house were smoldering and would reignite.
The fire department was called at 10:11 a.m. by a neighbor who was outside working in a yard when the smoke was spotted.
None of the other residents witnessed anything.
Fire damages Topeka restaurant
Last Modified: 2:04 a.m.4/15/2002
Authorities said a discarded cigarette apparently ignited a fire that did an estimated $25,000 damage Sunday to a restaurant along the city's Wanamaker corridor.
No one was hurt during a blaze reported at about 5 p.m. at Ruby Tuesday's Restaurant, 1625 S.W. Wanamaker Road, said Battalion Chief Ron Scott of the Topeka Fire Department.
Ruby Tuesday's closed for the rest of the evening, and the restaurant's general manager said it was unclear when it would reopen.